Tomorrow marks the Big Boy’s first day at preschool and yes – I am still frantically running around trying to organise things. Yesterday the classroom teacher hosted a meet and greet morning tea for the parents and children. Even though not all of those children will be there on the same day as H Boy, it was good to see who else was in his classroom. Some of the parents I already knew from playgroup – some I did not.
One of the requirements of the school is that the children have a pair of soft soled shoes to wear indoors while in the classroom. I have ummed and ahhed about what I would do in the way of shoes for at least the past 2 months. I have searched Pinterest, Ravelry and the net in general for a pattern that wasn’t too hard and spoke to my creative soul. The other requirement – the pattern had to be freely available on the interweb.
I did find quite a few links to really cute indoor shoes but you see I had one other requirement – they had to be minimal fuss. I just couldn’t handle anything too fussy right now. So yesterday I had decided to just buy some from the school shop. However, as it wold happen, the school shop was right out of H Boy’s size! Of course they were – there is 5 classes of kids who are 4 starting at the school this week!
I was being too fussy.
When it came to the crunch and I was forced to craft a pair of slippers I just got in and did it.
They are 100% wool, crochet with a double strand of worsted weight (8 ply) yarn. The pattern I used was actually a tutorial on You Tube. It can be found at this link . The pattern was really simple and fast to work up and because it was so fast I am not really worried about him damaging or wearing through his indoor shoes – because I can just whip up another pair.
As there are wooden floors in the classroom, I wanted to put something on the base of the slippers to reduce the amount of slip and to also give them a bit more wear time before they become threadbare. So this is what I did:
I cut down some patches that I purchased in the local sewing store that are designed to be elbow patches for mens jackets. I then used a Tailors Awl to punch some more holes in the parts where I had cut. I then sewed the pates onto the base of the slippers – instant grip.
Funny thing is he loves them and has hardly taken them off since they were finished. I can see that I am going to have to make another pair for home.
Baby B also want’s a pair now – he thew a tantrum saying “Slipper…Slipper…Slipper” over and over. His are in the process of being made now – Orange and Blue.